33rd GLAAD Media Awards Nominate Eternals, Twenties & More!
The nominations for the 33rd GLAAD Media Awards. This year’s nominations include Marvel’s Eternals, The long call, twenties, saved by the belland more!
The streaming services were able to receive a total of 63 nominees. Cable came in second receiving 39 nominations. Broadcast networks garnered 17 nominations. Take note; HBO/HBO Max was able to earn the most nominations of any network with a total of 19 nominations. Netflix was able to get 17 nominations.
Two new categories have been added this year. “Outstanding New TV Series” is to recognize queer-inclusive scripted comedy or drama series that are in their first season. The “Outstanding Original Graphic Novel/Anthology” category is for highlighting an original graphic novel or short story anthology appearing in the same book published by a mainstream publisher and its affiliates.
The GLAAD Media Awards ceremonies will be held in Los Angeles at the Beverly Hilton on Saturday, April 2, 2022 and in New York at the Hilton Midtown on Friday, May 6, 2022.
You can go ahead and read the full list of nominees for the 33rd GLAAD Media Awards on the official website. Below you will see a partial list with some of my opinions.
Outstanding Film – Wide Circulation
- Eternals (Walt Disney Studios cinema – Opinion: While I liked the film’s well-written queer portrayal, the film wasn’t as enjoyable as I would have liked. You can read our review of Eternals here.
- Everybody’s talking about Jamie (Amazon Studios)
- The Mitchells vs. the Machines (Netflix)
- tick, tick… BOOM! (Netflix)
- West Side Story (Walt Disney Studios Cinema)
Outstanding Film – Limited Release
- fast breaking (Vertical Entertainment) – Opinion: With Haaz Sleiman (who played Phastos’ husband in Eternals), I recommend watching this queer romantic comedy film with a Muslim main character.
- Pleats of gauze (Indian Pictures)
- Tunde Johnson’s obituary (Wolfe Video)
- Parallel mothers (Sony Pictures Classics)
- Plan B (Hulu)
- Port Authority (Momentum Pictures)
- Baby Shiva (Utopia)
- swan song (Photos by Magnolia)
- I miss you (Pictures of black stars) – Opinion: It offers an impressively written queer narrative exploring loss and finding the strength to move on. You can read my review here.
- The Twilight Kiss (Strand release)
Outstanding Comedy Series
- Dickinson (AppleTV+)
- gentified (Netflix)
- Love, Victor (Hulu)- Opinion: So much potential was wasted by the messy relationship drama of the second season of Love, Victor. But congratulations on the name, I guess? Here is my opinion.
- The two others (HBO Max) – Opinion: After airing two seasons, The two others is hands down one of the best queer inclusive comedy shows of all time!
- saved by the bell (Peacock) – Opinion: I love this reboot/sequel so much! Here is my opinion on the second season.
- Sex education (Netflix) – Opinion: I had thoughts about Sex education season three.
- Acute (Hulu)
- Special (Netflix)
- Around twenty (BET) – Opinion: Another show I love to watch! You can read my episode reviews here. Hopefully it will be greenlit for a third season soon!
- Work in progress (Show time)
Outstanding Drama Series
- 9-1-1: Lone Star (FOX) – Opinion: I cover the TK and Carlos (Tarlos) stuff along with a few other characters in my reaction videos to the episode on The Geekiary YouTube channel.
- batman (The CW)
- The Chi (Show time)
- Doom Patrol (HBO Max)
- good problem (free form)
- Grey’s Anatomy (ABC)
- The L word: Generation Q (Show time)
- Laid (FX)- Opinion: I keep missing this show. You can read my review of the series finale here.
- Star Trek: Discovery (Primary+)
- super girl (The CW)
Outstanding New Television Series
- 4400 (The CW)
- chucky (Syfy Network/USA) – Opinion: Such a fun continuation of the long-running series. You can read my episode reviews here. Fortunately, it was renewed for a second season.
- hacks (HBO Max)
- Harlem (First video)
- The long call (BritBox) – Opinion: An impressive and well-written British detective show featuring an openly gay male lead. You can read my review here.
- The sex life of college girls (HBO Max)
- Kind of (HBO Max)
- With love (First video)
- Y: The Last Man (FX)
- yellow jackets (Show time) – Opinion: I haven’t started watching it yet, but I heard it was very good.
Outstanding TV Movie
- The Christmas House 2: Decorate these rooms (Hallmark Channel) – Opinion: I need this franchise to come back with a third movie! Here is my review!
- The Street of Fear Trilogy (Netflix)
- Nash Bridges (US Network)
- Single until the end (Netflix) – Opinion: The way it could have been so much better than it ended up being. Sigh!
- Under the Christmas tree (Lifetime)
Exceptional limited or anthology series
- Dope (Hulu)
- Halston (Netflix)
- It’s a sin (HBO Max) – Opinion: This mini-series delivered a masterful look at the AIDS crisis in the UK. Here is my opinion.
- little birds (Starz)
- Love life (HBO Max)
- Master of None Presents: Moments in Love (Netflix)
- Rurangi (Hulu)
- station eleven (HBO Max)
- Vigil (Peacock)
- The White Lotus (HBO)
Outstanding Reality Program
- 12 dates of Christmas (HBO Max)
- Dancing with the stars (ABC)
- family karma (Cheer)
- I Am Jazz (CCM)
- Legendary (HBO Max) – Opinion: You can watch my episode reaction videos on The Geekiary YouTube channel.
- MTV Sequel: Bretman Rock (TVM) – Opinion: I don’t like watching reality shows on YouTubers and online influencers etc, but I really enjoyed watching this one.
- weird eye (Netflix)
- RuPaul’s Drag Race (VH1) – Opinion: Check out my episode reaction videos on The Geekiary YouTube channel.
- The voice (NBC)
- We are here (HBO)
Outstanding programming for children and family
- amphibians (Disney Channel)
- Centaurworld (Netflix)
- “Claudia and the Sad Goodbye” The Babysitters Club (Netflix)
- Diary of a Future President (Disney+)
- Doogie Kamealoha, MD (Disney+)
- High School Musical: The Musical: The Series (Disney+) – Opinion: I’m so ready for season 3!
- The noisy house (Nickelodeon)
- Danger Force “Manlee Men” (Nickelodeon)
- The owl house (Disney Channel)
- Power Rangers: Dino Fury (Nickelodeon/Netflix)
Outstanding Video Game
- Boyfriend’s Dungeon (Kitfox Games)
- far cry 6 (Ubisoft)
- The gardener and the wild vines (Finite Reflection Studios)
- Kena: Bridge of Spirits (Ember Lab)
- Life is Strange: True Colors (Deck Nine Games/Square Enix)
- Psychonauts 2 (Double Fine/Xbox Game Studios)
- Rainbow Billy: Curse of the Leviathan (ManaVoid Entertainment/Skybound Games)
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege (Ubisoft)
- Unpacking (Witch Beam/Humble Games)
- INVISIBLE (Pixel Punk Studio/Humble Games)
- Aquaman: becomingby Brandon Thomas, Diego Olortegui, Skylar Patridge, Scott Koblish, Wade Von Grawbadger, Adriano Lucas, Alex Guimarães, Andworld Design (DC Comics)
- Barbalian: Red Planetby Tate Brombal, Jeff Lemire, Gabriel Hernandez Walta, Jordie Bellaire, Aditya Bidikar (Dark Horse Comics)
- Crush & Loboby Mariko Tamaki, Amancay Nahuelpan, Tamra Bonvillain, Nick Filardi, Ariana Maher (DC Comics)
- The Dream: Waking Hoursby G. Willow Wilson, Javier Rodriguez, Nick Robles, MK Perker Matheus Lopes, Chris Sotomayor, Simon Bowland (DC Comics)
- guardians of the galaxyby Al Ewing, Juann Cabal, Juan Frigeri, Federico Blee, Cory Petit (Marvel Comics)
- Harley Quinn: The Animated Series – The Eat. Slam! Kill. To visitby Tee Franklin, Max Sarin, Erich Owen, Marissa Louise, Taylor Esposito (DC Comics)
- killer queensby David M. Booher, Claudia Balboni, Harry Saxon, Lucas Gattoni (Dark Horse Comics)
- Star Wars: Doctor Aphraby Alyssa Wong, Minkyu Jung, Ray-Anthony Height, Federico Sabbatini, Victor Olazaba, Rachelle Rosenberg, Joe Caramagna (Marvel Comics)
- Superman: Son of Kal-Elby Tom Taylor, John Timms, Daniele Di Nicuolo, Steve Pugh, Clayton Henry, Gabe Eltaeb, Hi-Fi, Romulo Fajardo Jr., Steve Buccellato, Dave Sharpe (DC Comics)
- Wyndby James Tynion IV, Michael Dialynas, Andworld Design (BOOM! Studios) – Opinion: I want everyone to start reading Wynd.
Outstanding Original Graphic Novel/Anthology
- Comfort! love and pompomsby Crystal Frasier, Val Wise, Oscar O. Jupiter (Oni Press)
- DC Pride [anthology] (DC Comics)
- eighty daysby AC Esguerra (Archaia/BOOM! Studios)
- The daughter of the seaby Molly Ostertag, Maarta Laiho (Graphix/Scholastic)
- girl havenby Lilah Sturges, Meaghan Carter, Joamette Gil (Oni Press)
- I am not Starfireby Mariko Tamaki, Yoshi Yoshitani, Aditya Bidikar (DC Comics)
- Voices of Marvel: Pride [anthology] (Marvel Comics)
- renegade rulerby Ben Kahn, Rachel Silverstein, Sam Beck, Jim Campbell (Dark Horse Comics)
- The secret of superhuman strengthby Alison Bechdel, Holly Rae Taylor (Mariner Books/HMH)
- shadow lifeby Hiromi Goto, Ann Xu (First Second/Macmillan)
Please share your thoughts on the 33rd GLAAD Media Awards with us. And yes, I’m glad that Elite season 4 and Q-Force didn’t get any names. Ha!
Farid holds a double master’s degree in psychology and biotechnology as well as an M.Phil in molecular genetics. He is the author of numerous books including Missing in Somerville and The Game Master of Somerville. It gives us insight into comics, books, TV shows, anime/manga, video games, and movies.
Read our before commenting.
Do not copy our content in its entirety to other websites. Links are encouraged.
Copyright © The Geekiaire