Armor of the Elden Ring | best armor sets for early/late and where to get them
Tired of dying to the same old bosses? Tired of being beaten to a pulp by nameless morons? Sounds like you need better Elden Ring armor (and it probably wouldn’t hurt to spend some time improving your stamina/health stats as well).
In Elden Ring, there are many armors (or armor if you prefer the American spelling) – some of them can be bought from merchants, some you just find in random places, and some you happily scavenge from the corpses of your fallen enemies.
There’s not much you can do to upgrade every armor set in Elden Ring (although some armor sets allow for slight tinkering on Sites of Grace), so you’d better find a brand new set if your current sons do not prove to be protective enough.
So whether you’re just starting out and looking for some early game armor that will help you overcome the first two bosses, or you’re nearing the end of the game and looking to pick up some of the best armor sets, keep going. read on to learn all about the Elden Ring armor!
How to get the best early armor in Elden Ring
Looking for the best ancient armor in Elden Ring? Here’s our top tip on the matter! the Godrick Knight Armor Set should serve you very well in the game’s opening act, and it’s not too hard to pick up either.
Head to the site of Grace in Limgrave named Front door, which is just before the difficult tunnel where a large beast jumps from above to attack you as soon as you enter. Most players will get stuck here at some point in their Elden Ring adventure, we bet.
Instead of entering the tunnel, turn to face the other way and you should see a group of armored soldiers, one of whom is a particularly buff Godrick Knight. As shown in the video above, if you keep killing these guards and the Godrick Knight, they will eventually drop every piece of their armor.
If you kill them all and still don’t have the piece of armor you want, simply interact with the Grace Site and all nearby Knights should respawn, allowing you to try again. This is a process called “farming” and it may take you a while to get the full armor set consisting of helmet, chest armor, gauntlets and mourners (armor of leg).
the Banished Knight Armor is another perk early on in the game, and you should be able to get it as soon as you gain access to Stormveil Castle (after beating Margit, basically). From the Site of Grace named Rempart towerYou should be able to farm Banished Knight armor by following the video guide below.
The best Elden Ring armor sets and how to find them
What are some of the best Elden Ring armor sets and how do you get them? Different people will answer this question in unique ways, but if you’re talking about pure stats, the armor sets we’ve listed below are particularly appealing.
We placed the best armor in terms of resistance to physical damage at the top of this list, followed by some very neat alternative options. Read on to see what we recommend and click on any of the links in the guide to find out more.
Keep in mind that many of these armor sets are quite heavy – you’ll need to increase your stamina, thereby increasing your max gear load, if you want to wear them.
Bull-Goat Armor Set
- Weight: 63
- Physical Damage Resistance: 45
- Particularly strong against Strike (44.6 resistance)
- Obtain it by completing the Patches questline, which starts at Murkwater Cave in Limgrave (embedded video guide below)
General Radahn’s Armor Set
- Weight: 39.2
- Physical Damage Resistance: 41
- Especially strong against Slash (40.2 resistance)
- Obtain it by defeating General Radahn in the boss battle near Castle Redmane in Caelid (see video guide)
Banished Knight Armor Set
- Weight: 41.6
- Physical Damage Resistance: 39.3
- Particularly strong against magic (resistance of 29)
- Obtain it by repeatedly killing the same banished knight in Rampart Tower, Stormveil Castle (see video guide)
Lionel’s Armor Set
- Weight: 50.7
- Physical Damage Resistance: 38.3
- Especially strong against Slash (42.2 resistance)
- Get it from a room, down several elevators in the capital (embedded video guide below)
Note: The Barrel Chested Lionel Armor seems to be something of a fan favorite, but you can’t get it until quite late in the game. Watch the video below to see where it is and what did he look like.
Malformed Dragon Armor Set
- Weight: 38
- Physical Damage Resistance: 36.7
- Particularly strong against light (resistance 30)
- Obtain it by defeating Malformed Knight in the Farum Azula area (see video guide)
Godrick Knight Armor Set
- Weight: 28.1
- Physical Damage Resistance: 29.3
- Particularly strong against magic (23.6 resistance)
- Obtain it by defeating Godrick Knight at Gatefront Ruins (see video guide)
Royal Remains Armor Set
- Weight: 25.3
- Physical Damage Resistance: 25.8
- Particularly strong against Fire (resistance 22.1)
- Loot the secret Haligtree Medallion (right) in Albinauric Village (in the Liurnia area of the lakes), then win a fight at Roundtable Hold to earn this armor (see video guide)
Carian Knight Armor Set
- Weight: 23.5
- Physical Damage Resistance: 25.8
- Particularly strong against Holy (25.8 resistance)
- Get it from a tomb near the Church of the Cuckoo in Raya Lucaria (see video guide)
Raging Wolf Armor Set
- Weight: 24.1
- Physical Damage Resistance: 29.3
- Especially strong against Pierce (28.1 resistance)
- Obtain it by completing Lady Tanith’s quest at Volcano Manor (see video guide)
Azur’s Glintstone Armor Set
- Weight: 11.8
- Physical Damage Resistance: 10.9
- Particularly strong against magic (24.6 resistance)
- Obtain it by completing the Sorceress Sellen quest, which starts at Waypoint Ruins Cellar in Limgrave (see video guide)
Where can you buy armor in Elden Ring?
There are a number of merchants scattered around the map in Elden Ring, and many of them will sell you a few pieces of armor in exchange for some of your well-earned runes.
Merchant Kale, the guy who looks like Santa Claus from Elleh Church in Limgrave, is one of the first merchants you’re likely to encounter in the game, and he’ll sell you every piece of the armor set by chain.
Once you’ve unlocked Roundtable Hold, the Tarnished HQ you’ll be prompted to visit fairly early in the game, you can also purchase the full Knight Armor from the Twin Maiden Husks.
There are many other merchants in Elden Ring besides these. In general, however, the best way to get armor in Elden Ring is to find it in the world. It may take longer, but the benefits will be much greater and it will be cheaper!
Learn more about Elden Ring:
To follow Radio Times Gaming on Twitter for all the latest information. Or if you’re looking for something to watch, check out our TV guide.
Visit our video game release schedule for all the games coming to consoles. Drop by our hubs for more gaming and tech news.
The latest issue of Radio Times is on sale now – subscribe now to get every issue delivered to your door. For more on TV’s biggest stars,listen to the Radio Times podcast with Jane Garvey.