Demi Lovato defends her latest single ‘Commander in Chief’
Ontario to offer distance learning next school year, but no details on returning to class this spring
Ontario will offer e-learning for the next school year, Education Minister Stephen Lecce said on Tuesday, although he gave no news on whether or not students could return to classes online. no one this spring. At a press conference on Tuesday, reporters asked the minister a variety of questions about the current school year, but Lecce repeatedly referred to the advice of Medical Officer of Health Dr David Williams, who was not present. “When we have updated advice … you will know,” Lecce said. The education minister said the province wanted the children to return to school and will continue to seek advice from the Williams “on the way forward.” We will not take any risks with your child, “he said. The use of e-learning will be available throughout the 2021-2022 school year and will provide more information to parents in the months to The government has also announced that it will increase school board funding by $ 561 million next year to help tackle the persistent pandemic. It says it will spend a total of $ 25.6 billion on the system. education in 2021-22, an increase of 2.2% from the previous year. Province says it will allow school boards to access their reserves, as it did last year. latest, to help meet the costs of the pandemic. It will also extend $ 1.6 billion in COVID-19 support to boards, including millions to improve ventilation, support resumption of learning and enable endowment flexible staff. The government says q It will also continue to fund or purchase personal protective equipment, COVID-19 testing, and device replacement. Education Minister Stephen Lecce said on Tuesday that ‘we want to educate children’ but said that as of now, the province’s medical officer of health has not changed the current set restrictions that forced in-person classes to close. (Charlie Neibergall / Associated Press). He warns, however, that boards are expected to budget only half of those resources in the first half of the year and that remaining funding depends on vaccine distribution and public health advice. All schools currently teach students online as Ontario remains under a stay-at-home order. Kelly Gallagher-Mackay, an assistant professor at Wilfred Laurier University who studies inequalities in education, told CBC News that she was not impressed with Tuesday’s announcement, calling it “a budget of maintaining the status quo in the midst of a huge crisis and huge disruption in education ”. It is truly surprising that they spend so little money on providing supports to help students and the education system recover from a year of incredible disruption and… hardship for many students, ”he said. she declared. The province is spending money on restoring learning, which it says is crucial and is funded at higher rates in the UK and US. “We are talking about peanuts. That’s $ 10 per student for learning to recuperate in Ontario, and that won’t really fill the gap, ”she said. Case count drops below 3,000 Meanwhile, Ontario reported 2,791 more COVID-19 cases and the deaths of 25 more people with the disease on Tuesday. The last time the daily number of cases was below 3,000 in the province was almost a month ago, on April 5. It is also the fewest new infections reported in a single day since April 1. new cases compared to other days of the week, possibly due to the processing of weekend tests on Monday. Today’s tally comes as labs performed just 33,740 tests and Public Health Ontario recorded a province-wide positivity rate of 9.1%. The mean seven-day test positive rate was 8.3%. As of Tuesday, 3,265 more cases were confirmed with roughly the same number of tests processed and a positivity rate of 10.2%. This could be an indicator t that the growth of infections continues its recent slowing trend, but it is impossible to draw any firm conclusions from a single day of data.It is also possible that the relatively low overall numbers from the tests of the recent weeks and the high positivity rates mean that the infections are going unconfirmed. Additional cases reported today include: 931 in Toronto 653 in Peel Region 275 in York Region 147 in Durham Region 128 in Hamilton 112 in Ottawa 101 in Halton Region The seven-day average has fallen to 3509, its lowest point in more than three weeks. The indicator has been declining steadily since its pandemic peak of 4,370 on April 17. More Pfizer vaccines are expected to arrive this week. Another 3,323 cases were marked resolved in today’s provincial update. There are approximately 36,440 confirmed active infections across Ontario. Yesterday, there were 2,167 people with COVID-19-related illnesses in hospitals, of which 886 were being treated in intensive care units, according to the Department of Health. Of these, 609 required ventilators to breathe. Healthcare workers administer Pfizer-BioNtech COVID-19 vaccine to residents of Toronto hot spots. (Evan Mitsui) Critical Care Services Ontario, an agency that collects internal reports for hospitals and healthcare organizations, said another 64 patients were referred to ICUs yesterday. New daily intensive care admissions remained high, with patients spending an average of 11.4 days in intensive care units. The remaining 25 COVID-related deaths bring Ontario’s official death toll to 8,143 people. The seven-day average of daily deaths fell slightly to 25.6, from 26.1 public health units that collectively administered 88,871 doses of COVID-19 vaccine on Monday, the province said. Some 378,085 people received the two vaccines. Ontario has distributed 5,467,120 doses, or almost 97%, of the 5,644,975 doses received to date. A shipment of 786,240 additional injections of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is expected to arrive this week. Ford Continues to Push Borders Also on Tuesday, Premier Doug Ford released another statement calling on the federal government to impose new border restrictions. This is despite the most recent data from Public Health Ontario that about 1.6% of the 476,692 total cases of COVID-19 in Ontario have confirmed links to travel. Epidemics and close contact account for about 60%. Ford has said his government wants a ban on all non-essential travel, pre-departure COVID-19 testing for domestic flights and for Ottawa to close a loophole that allows some travelers to cross a land border without having to go. quarantine. The province has sent three “urgent letters” in recent weeks without an official response from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, the statement said. “More can and must be done. We cannot sit back and watch the fourth wave of COVID-19 cross our border,” the statement said. Ontario’s Progressive Conservatives are now buying Facebook ads in an attempt to get people to sign a petition banning all non-essential travel to Canada. The federal government banned non-residents from non-essential travel last March, but some people are still circumventing border measures that have been put in place in recent months. Worrisome variants have been circulating in the province since at least the beginning of this year. The COVID-19 Scientific Advisory Board warned of the potential for explosive growth of cases due to new variants in late January and again in mid-February. Briefings from the independent expert panel warned of reopening public health units too soon after the second wave of the pandemic subsides.