Harvey Weinstein to be brought to justice on Monday over new indictment
LOS ANGELES (CNS) – Disgraced film producer Harvey Weinstein – who faces sex-related charges – is set to be brought to justice on Monday on a new indictment before a grand jury, which reinstates one count which had been rejected by a judge after the defense argued that it was prescribed by statute of limitations.
The grand jury’s latest indictment, delivered Wednesday, re-charges Weinstein with the disputed count of forcible sexual assault against a woman in May 2010.
This is the third time the prosecution has asked the grand jury to change the indictment against Weinstein, 69, initially indicted in March with 11 counts involving five women.
The contested charge is the only charge involving one of the five alleged victims.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Lisa B. Lench initially supported the defense challenge to that count in a July 29 hearing, but agreed to allow the prosecution to seek a hearing. indictment before a grand jury to amend the indictment.
“We believe it will never be successful,” said one of Weinstein’s attorneys, Mark Werksman, after an Aug. 12 hearing in which the charge was dismissed.
The defense attorney said the charge “cannot give life to a charge already prescribed by statute of limitations.”
The latest indictment alleges Weinstein has been “continually charged” with this crime since April 2020 and until August 12, when the judge again upheld the defense challenge to that count after the prosecution requested two further amendments to the grand jury indictment.
“We are taking the appropriate steps to ensure justice prevails in this matter,” Alex Bastian, special advisor to Los Angeles County Attorney George Gascon, said in a statement released by the district attorney’s office after the hearing on the 12th. August.
Weinstein’s lawyers had unsuccessfully challenged two other charges – forced oral copulation and forced rape involving another alleged victim between September 2004 and September 2005.
Weinstein was extradited on July 20 from New York City, where he was sentenced to 23 years in prison for the rape of an aspiring actress and criminal sex act against a former production assistant.
Weinstein was brought into a downtown Los Angeles courtroom in a wheelchair a day later, with one of his attorneys pleading not guilty on his behalf. He remains imprisoned without bail.
Weinstein’s legal team had tried to block his transfer from New York to Los Angeles until he was “medically fit” to be transferred. A court document filed in Los Angeles by the defense claimed Weinstein “urgently needed medical treatment to save his sight, and that treatment could last anywhere from 24 to 36 months.”
The defense had also asked a Los Angeles judge to delay the transfer until Weinstein’s medical treatment was completed.
Los Angeles County prosecutors initially charged Weinstein in January 2020 with forced rape, forced oral copulation and sexual penetration by use of force involving a woman on February 18, 2013, and sexual restraint violence involving another woman one day. later.
Weinstein was then charged in April 2020 with coercive sexual violence – one of the charges disputed by the defense – involving a woman in May 2010. In November 2020, prosecutors added six additional charges – three each counts of rape and forced oral copulation – involving two alleged victims in Beverly Hills between 2004 and 2010.
The grand jury later indicted Weinstein on the same counts.
Weinstein has produced films such as “Shakespeare in Love”, which won the 1999 Oscar for Best Picture, and “Pulp Fiction”.