Kelly Thompson launches two Substack comics, Black Cloak and the Cull
Kelly thompson has joined the list of prominent comic book authors and artists who have been recruited with large sums of six figures band Nick Spencer to start a subscription service at Substack, to publish their creator-owned books digitally before print publication at a later date, possibly from Image Comics. And I knew it because I have already subscribed to his Substack newsletter. In which she tells us;
My first paid comic book job was a creator-owned book I did with Meredith McClaren called HEART IN A BOX (Dark Horse). It was an amazing experience in which we barely made any money. Again, the comics are really, really tough. It’s hard to make them, it’s harder to make them good, and it’s harder to make them good and also financially viable. But Substack has removed some of those barriers – paving the way for me and a handful of fantastic creators / collaborators / colleagues – to do what we want and own what we do. It’s huge and I’ve never seen anything like it before in the comics and I’m honored to be a part of it. And I hope YOU will be too. This doesn’t mean anything without you guys – it’s honestly a trip that needs both of us, so I want you with me! It’s a little scary but also exciting.
And Kelly Thompson will be launching two comics exclusively through her Substack subscriber list.
Subscribing to the paid tier of my Substack means you’ll get comics (and access to a lot of other cool stuff). For these first two books I’m going to tell you about, I partnered up with Image Comics for print editions (a dream come true – something I wanted to do not only for years as a creator, but since I was a teenager) ! So these comics will also end up being beautiful books that you can hold in your hands if that’s what you like.
I told you it would be Image. she also said the comics will be edited by her publisher Hawkeye Charles Beacham, and designed by a friend of Bleeding Cool, Rian Hugues. So what are the two books? Well the first one is called Black cape, drawn and colored by the above Meredith mcclaren, and lettered by Becca Carey.
A classic “tough” detective story set in a futuristic fantasy world where “technology” is based on magic and the world is full of “fantasy” characters who don’t always get along and all have murder motives.
And the second volume, The Cull, with artist and colourist Mattia de Iulis.
A sci-fi fantasy adventure following a group of high school friends who venture into a local forbidden rock to make a short film, to find themselves in another world … and when they get home, everything has changed and that been years, not days.
Subscribers should expect twenty pages per month of comics, five pages per week, with plenty of Kelly Thompson behind-the-scenes shenanigans and other promotional perks. There will naturally be different levels of subscribers.
- FREE: $ 0 / month – Free newsletter. Released once a week and is similar to the existing newsletter – basic updates, recommendations, reminders, and a few random items.
- MONTHLY: $ 7 / month – Paid subscription. This gives you access to all the comics and all the exclusive content like world building docs, cool process stuff, interviews, scripts, exclusive giveaways, insider discounts and more. backstage.
- ANNUAL: $ 70 / year – It’s the same as the month, but cheaper because you pay upfront in one lump sum PLUS this tier also gives you access to exclusive freebies (see more details below ).
- FOUNDERS LEVEL: $ 200 / year – This is the same as the annual level, but you will also get a ‘mini draw’ for every book launched on the site this year (2021-2022), PLUS two copies of a rare FOUNDERS SUBSTACK ONLY Cover variant of each # 1 we print – same cover, one signed copy and one unsigned copy. Thus, you will get at least two copies of a rare cover variant for BLACK CLOAK # 1 and THE CULL # 1.
- Additionally, the first 100 people who sign up for a paid (or higher) annual membership will be entered to win one of six DEADPOOL # 1 or HAWKEYE # 1 sketch covers with one of my relatively terrible (but always fun!) from the front. These, inexplicably, sell very well on Ebay… so if it’s too hideous to look at, you can probably return it!
- The first 250 people who sign up for a paid (or higher) annual membership will be entered to win 1 of 10 signed comics from my personal reserve (each worth $ 50 or more).
- The first 500 people who sign up for a paid (or higher) annual subscription will be entered to win a numbered and signed limited edition in illustrated hardcover of my first novel THE GIRL WHO WILL BE KING from my personal stock. These are very rare and sometimes go for a lot of money on Ebay or Amazon. The last one I saw in the world was selling for around $ 200 on Ebay. Savage.
Let’s check what do you want? Yes, it’s currently $ 168 again on Amazon.