The most popular comics from libraries around the world – for kids AND adults
The way people get their comics and graphic novels has changed somewhat with the COVID-19 pandemic, but one way that will never change is to get comics in libraries.
While libraries have been less visited over the past year due to the pandemic, she also showed how readers can use their library digitally with services like OverDrive and its Libby app – a digital reading service that is growing. associates with local libraries for books, magazines and Yes, comics and graphic novels.
Over the past 12 months, comics and graphic novels have been viewed over 15 million times in public libraries.
What are the most popular comics, manga, and graphic novels in libraries? A new study from OverDrive, using its connection to libraries in the US and beyond, has an answer – 10 in fact, five for youth books and five for young adult / adult books.
Top 5 juvenile comics retrieved from public libraries around the world:
- Diary of a Wimpy Child Jeff Kinney series
- Big nate series by Lincoln Peirce
- Smile Raina Telgemeier series
- Dog man Dav Pilkey series
- Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier
Top 5 Young Adult / Adult Comics Taken From Public Libraries Around The World:
- Long way down by Jason Reynolds and Danica Novgorodoff
- The life-changing storage manga by Marie Kondo and Yuko Uramoto
- The prince and the seamstress by Jen Wang
- The boy, the mole, the fox and the horse by Charlie Mackesy
- Umbrella Academy, Volume 1 by Gerard Way
Are you looking for more resources at the crossroads of libraries and comics? Check American Library Association Graphic Novels and Comics Roundtable.
Libby is one of the many ways to read comics digitally. Consult our list of best digital comic readers for Android and iOS devices.